Ten students applied for every single MBBS and BDS seat in Maharashtra
When the registrations to undergraduate health science courses in Maharashtra ended on July 17, in excess of 59,000 students have registered for 5,600 seats across government-run as well as private medical and dental institutes, according to a Hindustan Times report. In other words, at least ten students have applied for conceivably every single MBBS and BDS seat in the State this year, noted the report. The applicants are allowed to make payments till July 18.
Dr Pravin Shingare, Director, Directorate of Medical Education and Research (DMER) told the daily, “The Medical Council of India (MCI) recently banned several medical institutes in the country from admitting students after it came to the fore that they had violated infrastructural norms — three institutes are from Maharashtra. This had made competition fiercer for the aspirants.”
Quoting the information shared by DMER, there are 3,000 medical and 250 dental seats in government institutes and 1,500 medical and 850 dental seats in private institutes in the state. “There will be 350 seats less in private medical institutes, thus taking the final tally to a little over 1,200 seats,” said Shingare.
Change in Eligibility Rules
It may be recalled that a couple of weeks back, an MBBS aspirant from Mumbai approached the Bombay high court demanding change in eligibility rules for the upcoming undergraduate health science course admission after Maharashtra DMER made it clear that admissions to 85% state quota seats of medical and dental colleges will only be open for students who have cleared their Class 10, Class 12 from the state and hold a valid domicile certificate. Last week, the Aurangabad bench of the Bombay HC made it clear that students who have cleared Class 10 from another state but have cleared Class 12 and posses a valid domicile certificate will be eligible for state quota seats, the report pointed out.
As of June 20 evening, Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MH-CET) Cell was waiting to hear from the Bombay High Court on another petition filed by a few students and their parents demanding clarity on the admissions process said the report.
“We can’t postpone announcement of the provisional merit list, because students are waiting for the same. On case there’s any changes required, we will introduce the same as per the court order,” a senior official from MH-CET cell was quoted as saying by the report.