Two universities in Maharashtra postpone examinations due to Lok Sabha Elections
The Lok Sabha election schedule in Maharashtra has necessitated the postponement of examinations by two as per PTI report. Elections will be held in the state in four phases on April 11, 18, 23 and 29, as per the Election Commission.
In view of this, the BA and B.Com examinations of the Mumbai University scheduled on April 22, 23, 24, 29 and 30 have been postponed, an official from the university’s examination department said. “The new examination schedule will be uploaded on the university’s portal soon,” he said.
A similar communication has been issued to students by Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University in Aurangabad district of the state. The examinations scheduled by the university on April 18 and 23 will now be held on some later dates, the details of which will be declared soon, an official from the institution said.
The University of Mumbai (known earlier as University of Bombay) is one of the oldest and premier Universities in India. It was established in 1857 consequent upon “Wood’s Education Dispatch”, and it is one amongst the first three Universities in India. As a sequel to the change in the name of the city from Bombay to Mumbai, the name of the University has been changed from “University of Bombay” to “University of Mumbai”, vide notification issued by the Government of Maharashtra and published in the Government Gazette dated 4th September 1996. The University was accorded 5-star status in 2001 & ‘A’ grade status in April 2012 by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). It has been granted University with Potential for Excellence (UPE) status by UGC and PURSE Scheme by DST.
On August 23, 1958, Jawaharlal Nehru, prime minister of India, inaugurated the Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University.
- To disseminate, create and preserve knowledge and understand by teaching, research, extension and service and by effective demonstration and influence of its corporate, extension and society
- To play a significant role in the economic, educational, social and cultural development of the people of Marathwada
- To cater to the need of higher education in the region
- To cultivate and promote the arts, commerce, science, medicine, engineering, technology and other branches of learning and culture
- To organise, maintain and manage university laboratories, libraries, museum and other equipment for teaching and research
- To contribute to the advancement and dissemination of knowledge by undertaking Post Graduate and research in its own departments as well as through its college and recognized institutions
- To serve as a nursery of leaders in different walks of life, Professional, industrial economic, Political, social who can actively help in all direction and in the resuscitation if its unique culture