Who is a Psychiatrist
A psychiatrist is a physician who specialises in psychiatry, the branch of medicine devoted to the diagnosis, prevention, study, and treatment of mental disorders. He is a physician who specialises in psychiatry, the office of medicine dedicated to the diagnosis, prevention, research, and treatment of mental disease. Psychiatrists are medical doctors, unlike Psychologists and must evaluate patients to determine whether their symptoms are the result of a physical illness, a combination of physical and mental ailments, or strictly psychiatric – This is a definition by Wikipedia.
Psychiatrists are medical doctors who treat patients by having of psychotherapy discussions with them. They use a variety of treatments including various forms of psychotherapy, medicines, psychosocial interventions and treatments like ECT or electroconvulsive therapy.
Some institutes offering training and degree are the following:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh.
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai.
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur.
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
The medicines used by them are:
- Antidepressants –which are used to treat depression, panic disorder, PTSD, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder and eating disorders?
- Antipsychotic medications – used to treat psychotic symptoms (delusions and hallucinations), schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder.
- Sedatives and anxiolytics – used to treat anxiety and insomnia.
Hypnotics – used to induce and maintain sleep.
Mood stabilisers – used to treat bipolar disorder.
Stimulants – used to treat ADHD.
They often prescribe medications in combination with psychotherapy. They understand the complex relationship between emotional and other medical illnesses and also the role played by genetics and family history, A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor (completed medical school and residency) with specialised training in psychiatry. A psychiatrist can conduct psychotherapy and prescribe medications and other medical treatments.
A Psychiatrist earns an average salary of Rs 854,586 per year. A skill in Psychiatry is associated with high pay for this job. The increment in this job depends on experience Private practitioners also earn a lot. Experience strongly influences income for this job. The main reasons why this job is flourishing is the advent of Industrialization the absence of the joint family, the lack of the friend’s circle and the rush for achievement; all work together to bring individuals under immense mental pressure which he becomes unable to cope with. Especially in the absence of someone to share with.
As a result, he lands up in the psychiatrist’s couch, and the psychiatrist works wonders letting the patient share with all him his feelings and anxieties. The psychiatrist gives him a sympathetic ear and time and finds a cure for him.