Cape Breton University (CBU) was established in 1951. Cape Breton University promises and delivers an exceptional educational experience for students. Our faculty, students and graduates are recognized nationally and internationally for innovative accomplishments from academic excellence to athletic prowess. It aims to provide leadership and employ partnerships that assist learners and their communities to meet their educational, cultural, and economic needs. Cape Breton University became a public degree-granting institution and retained technical and vocational programs from the former Nova Scotia Eastern Institute of Technology. Cape Breton University was established by the Cape Breton University Act. 75% of Cape Breton students who attend university choose CBU. It accounts to highest % of Aboriginal student enrollment of any institution in Atlantic Canada.
Why Choose Cape Breton University?
- With small class sizes, unique offerings and programs and activities all year round; Cape Breton University is students’ home away from home.
- Located on Canada’s stunning east coast, CBU makes its home on Cape Breton Island.
- In small class sizes, students are more than just a number. Professors get to know their students and will refer to them by name.
- Being a small campus helps create a relaxing environment, a sense of belonging and a diverse population from over 50 countries.
- With different courses and programs, an education from CBU can be tailored to students’ interests.
Facilities at Cape Breton University
- Class Rooms
- Sports Facilities
- Research Facilities
- Conference Hall
Schools/College at Cape Breton University
- School of Arts and Social Sciences
- Shannon School of Business
- School of Science and Technology
- School of Professional Studies
- Unama’ki College
Research Institutes and Centers at Cape Breton University
- Centre for Sustainability in Energy and the Environment (CSEE)
- Centre for Cape Breton Studies
- Children’s Rights Centre
- Institute for Integrative Science and Health (IISH)
- Louisbourg Institute
Scholarships at Cape Breton University
The costs of a university education can often be supported through scholarship and bursary programs that offer students an opportunity to apply for monies based on academic merit, financial need or other specific criteria. Through their own hard work and commitment, students entering all academic schools at CBU earn Scholarships that are generated through the generosity of donors who contribute to the university’s fundraising efforts.