Capilano University was established in 1968 as Capilano College by the school boards and residents of North Vancouver, West Vancouver and Howe Sound through referendum. Initial enrolment that first year was 784 students. Today, Capilano has blossomed into a publicly-funded learning institution that serves 7,000 credit and 7,000 non-credit students annually. It has approximately 785 employees. In 2008, the provincial government changed Capilano College’s designation to Capilano University. Capilano University has earned an international reputation for quality teaching, programs and services. They strive to instill the knowledge, skills, motivation and attitudes that will enable their students to become independent thinkers and learners and to contribute effectively in a rapidly changing world. Capilano is well known for providing a solid academic foundation and is committed to developing new and innovative programs in response to market demand.
Campus of Capilano University –
Capilano University main campus is in North Vancouver, located in a natural environment on the slopes of the North Shore and only a 20-minute drive from downtown Vancouver. The beauty of the campus and the quality of education attract students from around the world. Capilano University also has regional campuses in Squamish and Sechelt that serve the communities of Howe Sound and the Sunshine Coast.
Why Choose Capilano University?
- Teaching Institution: Capilano University is a teaching institution where the instructors are engaged primarily in teaching.
- Put the Cred in Credit: Capilano University gets that when everything is said and done, textbook wisdom and street smarts need to stroll in step.
- Like Minded, Not High Minded: There is no intellectual snobbery at Cap. They believe excellence in education is for everyone.
- A Little Class Goes a Long Way: They keep their classes small. In fact, none of their classes has more than 35 students.
- Choices, Choices, Choices: Students have plenty of study options at Capilano University, which is great if they’re not one-hundred percent sure what they want to study.
Facilities at Capilano University –
- Class Rooms
- IT Services
- Food Services
- Athletics and Recreation
- Disability Services
- Parking Services
Career Resource Centre at Capilano University –
Capilano University assists students considering career options by providing information and reference materials on a wide variety of occupations. It houses a collection of self-help books, vocational literature and information on labour market trends. The centre also contains calendars from Canadian and foreign universities and colleges and free informational brochures on campus and community resources. Copies of past and current course outlines for Capilano University are available for reference in choosing courses and instructors. In addition, some career and program information is on videotape, which can be viewed in the centre. The CRC also houses computers for students working on career planning and job search.