College of the Rockies (COTR) was established in 1975 as East Kootenay Community College. It was to offer vocational, technical and academic courses. The first classes took place in 1975 and the number of registered students that first year was 351 in Cranbrook, 64 in Kimberley, 52 in Fernie, 39 in Golden and 37 in Invermere. In 1995 East Kootenay Community College changed its name to College of the Rockies. COTR’s first online course, Applied Research Methods, was offered in 1997. From 543 students at five campuses in 1975, the 2011/12 academic year saw the enrolment of 2,282 full-time equivalent students at seven campuses. These included: 1,769 in University Studies, Business, Career/Technical and Vocational programs; and 513 in Trades and Apprenticeships. There are approximately 8,000 part-time continuing education registrants as well. International education student enrolment has also grown to include 137 international students from 30 countries.
Campus of College of the Rockies
Located in the Kootenay Rocky Mountains of southeastern BC, College of the Rockies offer students lifestyle and learning opportunities to match their spectacular setting. The College has seven campuses which are located in the southeast corner of British Columbia. The campuses are: Main Campus, Gold Creek Campus, Creston Campus, Fernie Campus, Golden Campus, Invermere Campus and Kimberley Campus.
Why Choose College of the Rockies?
- Low Tuition Fees: Tuition and student fees at College of the Rockies can be considerably lower than many other areas of Canada.
- Quality Programs and Services: They offer a full range of academic and vocational programs including Arts & Sciences, Business and Administration, Healthcare, Trades, Tourism, Information Technology, and Child, Youth and Family Studies.
- Dual Admission: COTR students in University Studies or Business Administration can now apply for dual admission directly into certain Thompson Rivers University degree programs at the same time they apply to enter COTR.
- Small Class Sizes: Their small class sizes provide the right setting for friendly, personalized instruction and service.
- Rocky Mountain Lifestyle: Students at College of the Rockies have the unique opportunity to blend lifestyle and learning in a spectacular location. Recreation activities are on their doorstep.
Facilities at College of the Rockies
- Class Rooms
- Student Housing
- Dining Room
- Hair Salon
Campus Life at College of the Rockies
The campus life department promotes and encourages their students, employees and community members to participate in a variety of events offered at College of the Rockies. They strive to provide opportunities that will create a positive and fulfilling post secondary experience for their students. Live, Learn and play at College of the Rockies. Students at College of the Rockies have the unique opportunity to blend lifestyle and learning in a spectacular location. Recreation activities are on their doorstep. Enjoy hiking, cycling, skiing, and their pristine mountains and lakes. Their campus communities also offer many cultural activities including live music and theatre, galleries and festivals.