Deakin University (DU) was established in 1974 by the Deakin University Act. It was the first university to be set up in regional Victoria and the fourth in Victoria. The primary objectives for the establishment of Deakin University were to create a university in the Geelong area and to provide an opportunity for tertiary education at university level to all qualified persons either in or outside Victoria by means of distance education programs. Deakin University’s first campus was established at Waurn Ponds in 1979. The teaching and research activities of Deakin University now have a national and international reach; however, the University retains a particular commitment to rural and regional communities and to providing equal opportunities for people to enjoy the benefits that flow from participation in higher education. Deakin University aims to be a catalyst for positive change in the individuals and the communities it serves. It aspires to be recognized as Australia’s most progressive university. Deakin’s courses are developed with industry and professional input from specialized Course Advisory Boards. Through these professional links they ensure that their courses are relevant, practical and deliver the skills in demand in the workplace, so students can hit the ground running.
Why Choose Deakin University?
- Students will receive quality education that is flexible and prepares them for the real world
- They have strong industry partnerships
- State-of-the-art facilities
- Vibrant Campuses
- Self-paced online learning
- Deakin’s recent achievements
- Supportive staff and friendly environment
- Elite Athlete-Friendly University
Campuses of Deakin University
Deakin University has four campuses – one in Melbourne’s eastern suburbs, two in the port city of Geelong just south of Melbourne, and one in Warrnambool on the south-west coast of Victoria. Each has a distinctive character and a strong presence in the local community.
- Melbourne Burwood Campus -Melbourne Burwood Campus is a thriving metropolitan campus, attracting about 17, 000 undergraduate and postgraduate on-campus students. It boasts open and inviting spaces for socializing and studying, innovative architecture, spacious new buildings and wireless hotspots.
- Geelong Waterfront Campus -Geelong Waterfront Campus is located on Corio Bay, in the central business district of Geelong. Originally built as woolstores in 1893, the buildings have been extensively renovated to create a modern and impressive campus centre.
- Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus – Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus is located on the western edge of Geelong. The campus features expansive landscaped grounds and extensive sporting facilities. The campus is home to the Geelong Technology Precinct, which provides research and development capabilities and opportunities for university-industry partnerships and new enterprises in the region.
- Warrnambool Campus -Deakin’s Warrnambool Campus is set on the banks of the picturesque Hopkins River, close to local surf beaches and popular tourist attractions. The Warrnambool Campus is a friendly, close-knit community, with personal and informal relationships between students and staff.
Facilities at Deakin University
- Class rooms
- Book Shops
- Sports Facilities
- Financial Assistance
- Sport and Recreation
Faculties at Deakin University
- Faculty of Arts and Education
- Faculty of Health
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Science and Technology
Scholarships offered by Deakin University
They offer a wide range of Scholarships to help students from many different backgrounds pay for their university fees. They also recognize high-achieving students with a wide range of academic excellence Scholarships, prizes and awards.