INDIAN AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE began its journey in the year 1905 at Pusa, Bihar. Presently, the institute is located at New Delhi, Delhi, India. The institute is popularly known as Pusa institute, which came to existence with the generous grant of 30,000 pounds from an American philanthropist, Mr. Henry Phipps. Right after it dawn the institute was named as Agricultural Research Institute (ARI). The institute initially functioned with five major departments, namely Agriculture, Cattle Breeding, Chemistry, Economic Botany and Mycology. Later in the year 1907, bacteriology unit was added to the institution. In the year 1958 the college attained the status of a Deemed University.
The institution was renamed twice once, in the year 1911 the name was changed to Imperial Institute of Agricultural Research and in the year 1919 it was again renamed as Imperial Agricultural Research Institute. With a devastating earth quake that hit the institution in the year 1934, the institute was shifted to the capital in the year 1936. And once again after independence the institution was renames as Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI).
The present campus of the Institute is a self-contained sylvan complex spread over an area of about 500 hectares (approx. 1250 acres) and located about 8 km (5 miles) west of New Delhi Railway Station and about 16 km (10 miles) east of IGI Airport (Palam). The location stands at 28.08 0N and 77.12 0E, the height above mean sea level being 228.61 meters (750 feet). It is adjacent to hillside road.
- ASRB Online Examination Centre
- Phytotron Facility
- Pesticide Referral Laboratory
- SEM Facility
- Library Services
- Farm Machinery Testing Facility
List of sophisticated analytical instruments at IARI:
- National Microbial, Nematode and Insect Collections and Conservation Facilities
- Central Seed Testing Laboratory
- Quality Seed Facility
- Facility for Protective Agriculture