Indian Institute of Technology, (IIT-B), Bombay was established in 1958 as a second-oldest institute of the Indian Institutes of Technology system with assistance from UNESCO and with funds contributed by the Soviet Union. All courses, however, are approved by the Senate of IIT Bombay. IIT Bombay is an autonomous institute and a Deemed University and the unique attribute of IIT Bombay’s academic structure is the autonomy enjoyed by the faculty in designing and structuring courses and curriculum.
IIT Bombay was established with the cooperation and participation of the UNESCO, utilising the contribution of the government of the then USSR. In 1961 Parliament decreed the IITs as ‘Institutes of National Importance’. Since then, IITB has grown from strength to strength to emerge as one of the top technical universities in the world. It has been recognized by MHRD, Govt. of India
IIT Bombay is recognized worldwide as a leader in the field of research and education in engineering and the sciences. Their mission is to build on the tradition of learning and scholarship, cultivate a culture of excellence, and create an ambience in which new ideas and creativity flourish. The institute is recognized worldwide as a leader in the field of Engineering education and research.
Why Choose Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay?
- IITB is a place that also subscribes to the entrepreneurship philosophy.
- The faculty at IITB is one of the finest among the Indian vocational institutes.
- The institute thus offers a conducive environment in which new ideas can be generated, researched, and nurtured before they become industry ready.
- The programs and courses offered at the institute has the flexibility to evolve and change in response to new requirements.
Campus of Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay –
IIT Bombay is located at Powai, which is an eastern suburb in the North-Eastern part of Mumbai.The institute campus at Powai extends over 200 hectares and is situated in picturesque surroundings with Vihar and Powai lakes on either side and green hills strewn around.
Facilities at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay-
- Computer Centre
- Guest House
- Swimming Pool
- Victor Menezes Convention Center
- Lecture Hall Complex
- Counseling Care Center
- Travel Desk
Departments at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay –
- Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Department of Bio sciences and Bio engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Energy Science and Engineering
- Department of Humanities & Social Science
- Department of Industrial Design Center
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Metallurgical Engineering & Materials Science
- Department of Physics
Centres at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay –
- Centre for Research in Nanotechnology and Science
- Centre for Aerospace Systems Design and Engineering
- Centre for Distance Engineering education Programmme
- Centre for Environmental Science and Engineering
- Centre of Studies in Resources Engineering
- Centre for Technology Alternatives for Rural Areas
- Centre for Formal Design and Verification of the Software
- Centre for Urban Science and Engineering
- Sophisticated Analytical Instrument Facility
- Industrial Design Centre