The Indian institute of technology (IIT) was known as Indian school of mines in Dhanbad. This was constituted under institute of technology act, during 1961. It was administered through IIT council. The Indian institute of technology was deemed in the year 1967 under section 3 of UGC Act, 1956. IIT (ISM) has been undergone some considerable expansion of its activities and can be considered currently as a total technology education institute. During the year 1957 they established the departments of petroleum engineering and applied geophysics. And between 1975 and 1977 they added the departments of mechanical engineering, mining machinery engineering, management studies, fuel and mineral engineering, electronics and instrumentation engineering. The other department which were established between the same year are department of applied chemistry, applied physics, applied mathematics, the centre of longwall mine mechanisation, computer centre, and centre of mining environment. And in the year 1997 computer science and engineering departments were added. They further established electrical engineering department in 2005, followed by this they established environmental science and the engineering department in 2006. And in the year 2010 they inaugurated chemical engineering department. The campus provides academic building, student hostel with 100% residential facilities for the students, faculty and staff.
- Computer Lab