Indian Institute of Technology, (IIT-K), Kharagpur was established in 1950 at Hijli. The Institute started its journey in the old Hijli Detention Camp where some of the great freedom fighters toiled and sacrificed their lives for the independence of the country. The history of IIT Kharagpur is thus intimately linked with the history of the Hijli Detention Camp. This is possibly one of the very few Institutions all over the world which started life in a prison house.
There were 224 freshers and 42 teachers in 1951 when the first session started. The class rooms, laboratories and the administrative office were housed in the historic building of the Hijli Detention Camp. The Institute started its academic program with only ten departments. In 1952, Pandit Nehru laid the foundation stone of the new building. Currently they have about 550 faculty, 1700 employees and 9000 students on the campus.
Campus of IIT Kharagpur –
The Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur campus is situated about 120 km west of Kolkata; Kharagpur can be reached in about 2 hours by train from Howrah railway station of Kolkata or 3 hours by car from Kolkata Airport. The Institute is about 10 minutes drive (5 km) from the Kharagpur railway station.
Facilities at IIT Kharagpur –
- Class Rooms
- Sports Facilities
Schools at IIT Kharagpur –
- G S Sanyal School of Telecommunications
- Rajendra Mishra School of Engineering Entrepreneurship
- Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law
- Ranbir and Chitra Gupta School of Infrastructure Design and Management
- School of Water Resources
- Vinod Gupta School of Management
Departments at IIT Kharagpur –
- Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Department of Agricultural and Food Engineering
- Department of Architecture and Regional Planning
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Cryogenic Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering
- Department of Geology and Geophysics
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Department of Industrial Engineering and Management
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Materials Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Medical Science and Technology
- Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Department of Mining Engineering
- Department of Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture
- Department of Oceans, Rivers, Atmosphere and Land Sciences
- Department of Physics and Meteorology
Centres at IIT Kharagpur –
- Center for Educational Technology
- Reliability Engineering Centre
- Rubber Technology Centre
- Rural Development Centre
IIT- Kharagpur Entrance Exams –
Following are the entrance exam accepted at IIT-Kharagpur –
- IIT-JEE Indian Institute of Technology – Joint Entrance Examination is an Entrance Exam conducted by Indian Institute of Technology for admission to Bachelor’s degree in a number of engineering, technological and scientific disciplines.
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is an entrance exam conducted annually for admissions to various science and technology post-graduate programs.
- JAM (Joint Admission Test to M.Sc.) is the admission test conducted by IITs for Master of Science and other post-B.Sc. programs.
- JMET (Joint Management Entrance Test )seeks admission to the Post-Graduate Programs in Management.
- For M. Tech/MCP program GATE score is accepted.
- For LL.B. (Hons) Degree, All India written test for entrance. Candidates who are writing the LSAT are exempted from the All India written test.