Nalanda Open University (NOU), Patna was established in 1987. The Nalanda Open University is the only University in the State of Bihar meant for imparting learning exclusively through the system of distance education. The University is named after the famous Nalanda University of Ancient India. The University is recognized by the Distance Education Council (DEC), University Grants Commission and Ministry of HRD, Government of India for imparting education through distance mode. Nalanda Open University degree/diploma /certificates are eligible for higher studies, public & private sector employment and service promotions.
The aims and objectives of the institute is to provide educational opportunities to those who are unable to take up formal education and are still desirous to upgrade their educational qualifications and acquire knowledge in various fields of learning through the print medium, contact programs, study centers and mass media. The university is to provide flexibility in matters of eligibility for enrolment for higher education, age of entry, choice of course, methods of learning, conduct of examination and operation of programmes.
Facilities at Nalanda Open University
Schools at Nalanda Open University
- School of Computer Education and information technology
- School of Economics, Commerce and Management
- School of Health and Environment Science
- School of Indian and Foreign Languages
- School of Indology
- School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- School of Library and Information Science
- School of Pure and Agricultural Sciences
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Teacher’s Education