National Institute of Technology (NITT), Tiruchirappalli is one of the 17 National Institutes of Technology established by the Government of India. Presently, NITT is an autonomous co-educational technological institute, with 10 undergraduate and 22 graduate programs. Undergraduate programs lead to the B.Tech degrees, while the graduate students and postgraduate students earn M.Tech and Ph. D degrees respectively. NITT also has a management and architecture school. NITT was registered under the Societies Registration Act XXVII of 1975.
National Institute of Technology formerly known as Regional Engineering College, Tiruchirappalli was established as a joint and co-operative venture of the Government of India and the Government of Tamil Nadu during 1964 with a view to catering to the needs of man-power in technology for the Country. The college has subsequently been conferred with autonomy in financial and administrative matters to achieve rapid development. Due to this rich experience, the institute was granted Deemed University Status with the approval of the UGC, the AICTE and the Govt. of India in 2003 and was renamed as National Institute of Technology.
Campus of NIT-Tiruchirappalli –
The college has a total campus area of 800 acres. The hallmark of the campus is the good facilities which caters to the academic and extra curricular interests of the students. The Octagon is the pride of the campus equipped with modern facilities like a CAD/CAM Lab, Local Area Network, an 10 Mbps High Speed Internet connection and other seminar and conference facilites. It is maintained and run by the Computer Support Group of the institute. Apart from this the campus provides ample opportunities for developing extra curricular skills which include NCC, NSS, Students Chapters of IEEE, social clubs and sports & games.
Facilities at NIT-Tiruchirappalli –
- Computer Center
- Swimming Pool
- Lecture Hall Complex
- Sports Centre
- Shopping Center
Departments at NIT-Tiruchirappalli –
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Applications
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Humanities
- Department of Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- Department of Management Studies
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Department of Physics
- Department of Production Engineering
NIT-Tiruchirappalli Entrance Exam –
Following are the entrance exams accepted by NIT-Tiruchirappalli –
- AIEEE is an entrance exam conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) for admissions in to various undergraduate (BE/B.Tech./B.Arch./B.Planning) courses.
- GATE is an entrance exam conducted annually for admissions to various science and technology post-graduate programs.
- NIMCET is a national level test conducted by NITs for admission in to their MCA programmes.
- CAT is an all-India test conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) for admissions in to MBA program.