Queen Mary, University of London was established in 1887 as the people’s palace, a philanthropic centre to provide east Londoners with educational, cultural and social activities. Queen Mary College was admitted to the University of London in 1915. Westfield College was founded in 1882 in Hampstead as a pioneering college for the higher education of women. In 1989 Queen Mary merged with Westfield College to form Queen Mary and Westfield College. In 1995, Queen Mary and Westfield merged again, this time with two distinguished medical colleges, St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical College, established in 1843 and the London Hospital Medical College, England’s first medical school, founded in 1785. This merger created Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry and brought clinical medical and dental teaching to Queen Mary for the first time. Queen Mary, University of London is one of the UK’s leading research-focused higher education institutions. With around 16,900 students, 3,800 staff and an annual turnover of £300m, they are one of the biggest University of London colleges. They teach and research across a wide range of subjects in humanities, social sciences, law, medicine and dentistry and science and engineering.
Campus of Queen Mary, University of London –
Queen Mary has five campuses in London, with their main campus at Mile End in east London. All their campuses are well connected to a range of public transport, including the London underground system, with central London just minutes away.
- Mile End: Mile End is Queen Mary’s main campus. Most academic schools are based here, as well as several halls of residence, lecture theatres, the main library, and their central administrative services.
- Whitechapel: The Whitechapel campus is the main home for their School of Medicine and Dentistry, and includes the Blizard Institute, the Institute for Health Sciences Education, the Whitechapel medical library, the Institute of Dentistry and the Royal London Hospital.
- West Smithfield: The West Smithfield campus, which includes St Bartholomew’s hospital (Barts) and the West Smithfield Medical library, is home to some of their cardiovascular, cancer, epidemiology and public health research facilities.
- Lincoln’s Inn Fields: The Postgraduate Law Centre at Lincoln’s Inn Fields is the new home of the Centre for Commercial Law Studies (CCLS) and a base for LLM teaching and postgraduate research students.
Facilities at Queen Mary, University of London-
- The University was selected as winner of the category ‘Entrepreneurial University of the Year’ at the Times Higher Education Awards 2011. The Institute has been nominated for numerous awards.
- Guardian University Guide 2013 ranks Coventry University Number 46 based on its own formula.
Facilities at Coventry University –
- Swimming Pool
- Fitness Centres
Faculties at Queen Mary, University of London –
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
- Faculty of Science and Engineering
Employability at Queen Mary, University of London-
Queen Mary is in the top 10 in the UK for student employability. Many of their on-campus jobs are challenging and rewarding positions: from mentoring young people in local schools and colleges to working in their well-equipped gym as a fitness trainer. In most cases students will receive on the job training.
Coventry University has a dedicated welfare team that offers ongoing advice to all of their international students while they study here. The International Office runs fantastic social programs. They also have some great competitions for international students running throughout the year. This provides a cost effective way to see more of the UK and experience British culture.
Scholarships at Coventry University –
Coventry University offers three excellent scholarship schemes to help students with the costs of their education. Each scholarship can be renewed each year subject to conditions. They will be offering three types of Scholarships: Sports Scholarships, Academic Excellence Scholarships and Phoenix Scholarships.