School of Planning and Architecture (SPA), New Delhi was established in 1941 as a Department of Architecture of Delhi Polytechnic. It was later affiliated to the University of Delhi. On integration, the school was renamed as School of Planning and Architecture in 1959. Recognizing the specialized nature of the fields in which the school had attained eminence, in 1979, the Government of India, through the then Ministry of Education and Culture, conferred on the School of Planning and Architecture the status of Deemed to be a University.
The school is a specialized University, only one of its kinds, which exclusively provides training at various levels, in different aspects of human habitat and environment. The school has taken lead in introducing academic programs in specialized fields both at bachelor’s and master’s level, some of which are even today not available elsewhere in India. The school, in striving for excellence, has always been in the lead in extending education and research to new frontiers of knowledge.
Campus of School of Planning and Architecture
The current SPA Delhi campus is located near ITO in Indraprastha Estate in New Delhi. A site of 20 acres has been acquired south of JNU by the school adjacent to Hotel Grand for developing a new campus.
Facilities at School of Planning and Architecture
Departments at School of Planning and Architecture
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Physical Planning
- Department of Architectural Conservation
- Department of Building Engineering and Management
- Department of Environment Planning
- Department of Housing
- Department of Industrial Design
- Department of Landscape Architecture
- Department of Regional Planning
- Department of Urban Design
- Department of Urban Planning
- Department of Transport Planning