Sikkim Manipal University Directorate of Distance Education (SMU-DE) was established in 2001 by the Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences as part of its efforts to bring education to the masses to fulfill the growing demand for professionals. The programs offered by SMU are recognized by the Distance Education Council of the Government of India. Sikkim Manipal University was established in 1995, and is a unique venture between the Government of Sikkim and the Manipal Group.
Distance Education (DE), distance learning or online learning, is a field of education that focuses on the pedagogy, technology, and instructional systems design that aim to deliver education to students who are not physically “on site”. Distance learning courses that require a physical on-site presence for any reason including the taking of examinations is considered to be a hybrid or blended course of study.
Many teachers feel the opportunities offered by distance learning outweigh the obstacles. In fact, instructors often comment that the focused preparation required by distance teaching improves their overall teaching and empathy for their students. Through Distance learning they can: –
- Reach a wider student audience
- Provide opportunity to students who are unable to attend on-campus classes
- Involve outside speakers who would otherwise be unavailable
- Link students from different social, cultural, economic, and experiential backgrounds
Why SMU-DE: –
- Widespread recognition
- Quality Distance Education
- On time delivery of courseware, exams and Results
- Student Support and Engagement
- Advantages of learning Centres
- The EduNxt edge
- Making Learning Accessible and Affordable
- life-time e-mail ID to Students
Learning / Information Center List in Kochi: –
- Magnus School of Business, Kochi
About Sikkim Manipal University’s Distance Education (SMU-DE) Programme
The Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences, Gangtok is incorporated under the State Legislative Act (Act IX of 1995) of the Government of Sikkim.
- Sikkim Manipal University is recognised by University Grants Commission (UGC), Ministry of HRD and is a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- Recognised by Distance Education Council (DEC)
- Sikkim Manipal University, Directorate of Distance Education offers programmes spread across 10 disciplines
- Sikkim Manipal University – Directorate of Distance Education offers programmes in Masters, Bachelors, Diploma and PG Diploma levels in various disciplines like Information Technology, Management, Journalism and Mass Communication, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Apparel & Fashion Design, Allied Health Sciences, Hospitality, Telecom and Commerce
- The programmes are made accessible through 725+ University authorised Learning Centres across the country
- So far over 3 lakh students have benefited from the Distance Education programmes, taking full advantage of the 65 core faculty members and the 6,500 committed and qualified mentors supporting faculty members present at the learning centres
- Apart from the widespread presence in India – covering 205 districts and 310 towns and cities – the University has also spread its reach overseas across 20 countries, with 25 learning centres
Rankings & Awards: –
- No. 1 Distance Education University in India in a Student Perception Study Conducted by Career 360
- CMO Asia Award for Best B-School Providing Management Education through Distance Mode
- Business World rated SMU DE the 3rd Best Distance Education Institution in India