Swansea University was established in 1920 by King George V. In 1921, Dr Mary Williams became the first woman to be appointed to a Chair at a UK university when she became Professor of French language and literature. By September 1939, there were 65 staff and 485 students. Swansea University is a research-led university that has been making a difference since 1920. The University community thrives on exploration and discovery and offers the right balance of excellent teaching and research, matched by an enviable quality of life.
Swansea University will provide an environment of research excellence, with research being undertaken that is world-leading and internationally recognised and that informs all other activities at the University. The University is planning an ambitious campus expansion and development program that will enable it to double in size and further enhance the student experience. Read about the proposed Bay Science and Innovation Campus here.
Campus of Swansea University –
Swansea University is set in rolling parkland overlooking the majestic sweep of Swansea Bay, and within easy reach of the City of Swansea. From stunning coastal scenery to tranquil parks, a thriving cultural scene to the best of modern city living, Swansea offers the best of all worlds.
The University’s campus lifestyle fosters a welcoming, cosmopolitan community, whilst new landmark developments, including Wales’ tallest building, give the City a real sense of purpose and vision.
Why Choose Swansea University? –
- The University achieved the highest growth in world-leading and international quality research activity in the UK – a 207% increase on the 2001 RAE.
- The Civil Engineering ranked second in the UK, General Engineering ranked fifth.
- The Medicine ranked seventh in the UK.
- Within Wales, out of 31 subject areas, Swansea ranked first in 17 areas and first or second in 24 areas.
Facilities at Swansea University –
- Campus Catering
- Taliesin Arts Centre
- Careers and Employability
Academic Colleges at Swansea University –
- College of Arts and Humanities
- College of Engineering
- College of Human and Health Sciences
- College of Law and Criminology
- Swansea University Medical School
- School of Management
- College of Science