The College of Engineering, Guindy completed its 200th anniversary in the year 1994. It was started as a Survey School in the year 1794, and was established as a college in 1859. It was finally set up into a technical institute in 1978. The Guindy College of Engineering is one of the oldest Engineering Colleges in the country today. Even back in the year 1894, it provided B.E. Degree courses in Mechanical Engineering while Electrical Engineering was introduced in 1930. The Telecommunication and Highway Engineering course was introduced in 1945 and the Printing Technology course in 1983.
This college was the first institution in South India to have established a Computer Centre as early as 1963. The academic, research and consultancy activities have been broadened by the college continuously to meet the socio-economic and technological needs of the changing times. It has link-ups with some premier institutions and organizations like USAID, UNCHS, Ford Foundation, European Economic Community and the Governments of Germany and UK. It is also the first college in the country which has its own postage stamp. The Department of Posts has brought out a postage stamp to mark the 200th anniversary of this great institution. The stamp’s design shows the building where the college is situated since 1920.