Unitec Institute of Technology was established in 1976 as Carrington Technical Institute. In 1987, the institute was renamed as Carrington Polytechnic. The name change helped describe and classify their style of education. By then they had already grown considerably and by 1992 they purchased adjacent hospital land and buildings and the campus spread over 55 hectares. In 1994, Carrington Polytechnic became the Unitec Institute of Technology. This change highlighted the “best of both worlds” found on campus – the mix of the best attributes of a university with those of a polytechnic, a mix they are still proud of today. In 2001, they opened a second campus in Henderson, West Auckland and in 2004 they became known as Unitec New Zealand. In 2006, the Waitakere campus opened its new state-of-the-art learning centre and library followed by the arrival of their North Shore campus in Takapuna in 2008. In 2011, they opened their Northern campus in Albany to offer North Shore and Rodney resident’s vocational training on their doorstep. Programs from the North Shore campus in Takapuna were transferred to this new location.
Campus at Unitec Institute of Technology –
- Mt Albert Campus: Mt Albert campus is a 55 hectare oasis of trees, lawns and gardens – just 10 minutes from Auckland’s central business district. They have been teaching students here since 1976 and the programs offered at the Mt Albert campus now range from engineering and trades to architecture, business and design to health, natural sciences and sport.
- Waitakere Campus: Waitakere campus is located at the very heart of the Henderson town centre redevelopment; it caters for up to 2500 students. Offering modern and flexible teaching spaces, the campus includes purpose-built computer and bioscience labs, as well as a hi-tech, 180 seat lecture theatre.
Facilities at Unitec Institute of Technology –
- IT Services
- Sport and Recreation
- Transport and Parking
Faculties at Unitec Institute of Technology –
- Faculty of Creative Industries and Business
- Faculty of Social and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Technology and Built Environment
Student Life at Unitec Institute of Technology –
From their biggest campus in Mt Albert to the brand new Northern campus in Albany – Unitec’s four campuses are all quite different. All their campuses are constantly buzzing with students of all ages, nationalities and backgrounds – catching up with friends, hitting the books at the library, getting a caffeine fix at a nearby cafe or rushing off to their next lecture. There’s always something going on too. A huge range of social events are organized by the USU Students’ Association at Unitec. The year starts with sounds in the sun, which is the biggest student orientation event in the country and ends with the massive end of year Pprty. In between there are lots of other concerts, film nights, gaming events, sporting events, free BBQs, parties, comedy nights and even a kids’ days out.