Womens Christian College (WCC), Chennai was established in 1915 reaccreditated by NAAC as a joint venture of 12 missionary societies from England and USA. In 1916 it was declared a first grade college and was shifted to its present campus in Nungambakkam located in the heart of Chennai city. It fulfills its mission to provide higher education to women of India in liberal arts and sciences. It is affiliated to the University of Madras and was given recognition as an autonomous college in 1982.
At present it is a state subsidized minority institution following the choice based credit system. It has grown to strength of over 3224 students and 180 members of faculty in the aided and self-financing sections and 108 members of the non-teaching staff. The college aims to provide a complete, meaningful and relevant education to women so that they are intellectually well-trained, morally upright, socially aware and spiritually inspired.
Campus of Women’s Christian College
In 1916, the college moved to its own campus of 19 acres attached to an imposing building called ‘Doveton House’ on the banks of the Cooum in Nungambakkam.
Facilities at Women’s Christian College
- Common Room
- Play Ground
Departments at Women’s Christian College
- Department of Languages
- Department of History
- Department of English
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Plant Biology & Plant Biotechnology
- Department of Advanced Zoology & Biotechnology
- Department of Home Science
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Psychology