What is GMAT?
About GMAT – The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)is a Standardized, computer-adaptive test that measures Verbal, Mathematical and Analytical writing skills. GMAThelps business schools in assessing the potential of applicants for advanced study in Business and Management. Nearly 900 management institutes – Most of these being US based – give admission in the MBA program on the basis of GMATscores.
The GMATtest is developed and administered by the US-based Pearson VUE under the direction of the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), a non-profit organization of graduate business schools worldwide. For the conduct of the test, Pearson VUE has appointed testing centers in over 100 countries. GMATscores are by default sent to 5 Business schools of your choice within 20 days after your test.
A New Section
In June 2012, the GMATexam will introduce a groundbreaking section, in addition to the previous GMAT syllabus, designed to measure test takerâs ability to evaluate information presented in new formats and from multiple sources. The Integrated Reasoning score will provide a new data point for schools to differentiate among candidates.
New, Innovative Question Formats
The following types of question will be included in the new GMAT format:
- Graphics Interpretation: Graphs or graphical images must be interpreted to fill in the blanks of answer statements accurately.
- Table Analysis: A sortable table, similar to a spreadsheet, has to be analyzed to determine whether statements are accurate.
- Two-Part Analysis: Solutions involve two components, and possible answers will be in a table format with a column for each component.
- Multi-Source Reasoning: Different data from two or three tabbed pages must be used to answer the questions.
Skills Being Measured
The Integrated Reasoning section will test skills indentified as important for incoming students by a survey 740 business school faculty worldwide:
- To assimilate and integrate information from different sources to solve challenging problems.
- To accurately interpret data presented visually in graphs to determine or estimate probabilities and statistics.
- To recognize and evaluate tradeoffs and the likelihood of outcomes.
- To convert quantitative data between graphical and verbal formats.
Candidates with bachelor’s degree from a recognized university can apply for GMAT test. There is no minimum age limit but applicants below 18 years of age need to submit a written form duly signed by their parents.
GMAT pattern for paper test:
The GMAT paper test consists of four separately timed sections. The GMAT examconsists of three main parts, the Analytical Writing Assessment, the Quantitative section and the Verbal section. The GMAT tests your fundamental skills and does not require any subject-specific theoretical study. The Quantitative section has two types of questions: Problem Solving and Data Sufficiency. The Verbal Section has three types of questions: Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning, and Reading Comprehension.
There are a total of 78 questions, 37 in Quantitative and 41 in Verbal. These 2 sections have a time limit of 75 minutes each. The Analytical writing section consists of two short essays to be written in 30 minutes each. The first is the Analysis of an Issue, in which you need to analyze the issue presented and explain your views on it. The second essay is Analysis of an Argument, in which a given argument has to be critically analyzed and evaluated. For both the essays, the emphasis is on the “Analytical” part, and not on the “Writing” part. The total test duration is around 4 hours.
How to take GMAT?
- Click on these links to Schedule an appointmentfor your GMAT. You can also schedule Online here.
- To schedule your GMAT testdate and center By Phone in India, Please call +91 (0) 1204397830, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Indian Standard Time.
- To register for the GMAT examBy Mail or Fax, you must complete the form available here.
- Use this link here to know the correct Country and test centre codesto be mentioned in the form above.
- Applicants in India can use this fax number to fax in the filled out application forms: +603 8319 1092. If you wish to Mail your form, please send your completed form to: Pearson VUE, Attention: GMAT Program, PO Box 581907, Minneapolis, MN 55458-1907, USA.
- Please use this link to know more about Additional Score Reports.
To reschedule the date, time or location of a GMAT examappointment in India, Please call +91 (0) 1204397830, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Please use this link for details on how to cancel your test appointment.