NEET UG 2019- Candidates with disability is in a dilemma
NEET UG 2019 – Even while the National Entrance cum Eligibility Test or NEET, in short, the online registrations are closing in another two days, candidates with disabilities who are seeking to appear the examination is yet to receive clarity on their quota. According to the India Today report, the Medical Council of India (MCI) has to release the revised guidelines, and as of now things are in a state of ambiguity, the doctors with disabilities, a Pan India body of doctors with disabilities unequivocally snubbed the guidelines as unfair, outright discriminatory and downright unlawful.
As per the Indian Express report, doctors have written to MCI to extend the last date to fill the NEET-UG 2019-20 form and have also asked to allow candidates with disabilities to reconsider their application if they have already registered, noted the report.
MCI Guidelines for Disabled Candidates
Persons more than 80% locomotor disabilities cured leprosy, cerebral palsy, dwarfism, muscular dystrophy, acid attack victims and others are allowed to take the examination, but after their selection, their functional competency will be determined with the aid of assistive devices, the rider says. Get wind of it; the activists had countered that fixing an upper limit to disability is a violation of the Rights of People with Disabilities Act as well as the Constitution.
What does the act say?
Rights of People with Disabilities Act were implemented in 2016, replacing the PwD Act, 1995, which was enacted 21 years back. Citing the PIB statement, the report further said that the types of disabilities, under the act, was increased from existing 7 to 21, and the Union Government now has the power to add more types of disabilities. The disabilities are as follows:
- Leprosy Cured persons
- Hearing Impairment (deaf and hard of hearing)
- Locomotor Disability
- Intellectual Disability
- Mental Illness
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Chronic Neurological conditions
- Specific Learning Disabilities
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Speech and Language disability
- Sickle Cell Disease
- Multiple Disabilities including deaf/blindness
- Acid Attack victim
- Parkinson’s disease
As per the Act, the Union Government has funded educational institutions, as well as the government; recognised institutions will have to provide inclusive education to children with disabilities.
The issue for disability guidelines
Quoting Satendra Singh, a member of Doctors with Disabilities, the report said that the doctors had brought it to the notice of MCI Board of Governors, NTA, Ministry of Health and Welfare that the MCI guidelines were not updated and that candidates with disabilities are still unclear about it.
The Real Issue
- If candidates apply under the disability quota and it turns out later that they are ineligible, they will miss a chance to sit for the entrance test
- If they apply through the general quota, they then lose out the entitlement provided to them by the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016
NEET UG 2019
- The NEET (UG) – 2019 will be held on May 5, 2019 (Sunday) from 02:00 PM to 05:00 PM
- The duration of the test is three hours
- To know how to register for the test, visit the official site of NTA
- The last date is November 30, 2018.
National Testing Agency
- The NEET UG will be held by the NTA from 2019 onwards
- Earlier, this test was conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) till 2018
- The responsibility of the NTA is limited to the conduct of the entrance examination, declaration of result and for providing an All India Rank merit list
- The list is given to the Directorate General Health Service, Government of India for the conduct of counselling for 15 per cent All India Quota Seats and for supplying the result to States/other Counselling Authorities
Other NEET related articles you might be interested to read
The registration process of NEET 2019 to end on November 30, 2018
Registration of NEET UG 2019 in November
NEET UG 2019 to be held on May 5, 2019