2020-2021 Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
The Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowship has been designed for Indian faculty and researchers who are in the first-level stage of their research in India. The Postdoctoral Research Fellowships offer opportunities to talented researchers and faculty to improve their research capacities. Postdoctoral fellows get access to some of the best resources in their areas of research and are able to build strong long-term collaborative partnerships with U.S. faculty and institutions. The fellowships are of eight to twenty-four months in duration.
Fields of Research
Applications for the Postdoctoral Research Fellowship are restricted to the following fields only:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Computer Science (with emphasis on cybersecurity and digital economy)
- Education Policy and Planning
- Energy Studies
- International Law
- International Security and Strategic Studies
- Materials Science (with emphasis on environmental applications)
- Public Policy
- Public Health
- Study of India (limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts)
- Study of the U.S.(limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts)
- Urban and Regional Planning (with emphasis on smart cities and waste management)
- Women’s and Gender Studies
The fellowship provides you with an affiliation to one host U.S institution for your grant. A strong recommendation from USIEF is for you to identify which institution they want to be affiliated and to get in touch with these institutions before applying for the fellowship. The letter of invitation should mention the duration of your visit, with dates, if possible. When applying online, please include the letter of invitation from the U.S. institution if you have it.
Benefits of the Grant
Once you are granted the fellowship, you will get round trip economy class airfare from India to the U.S., a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, a small settling-in allowance, and a professional allowance. If funds are available, you can also get a dependent allowance and airfare for one accompanying eligible dependent, only if the dependent stays with the grantee in U.S. for at least 80% of the grant period.
The eligibility requirements for the fellowship are as follows:
You must have obtained a PhD degree in the past four years. You need to upload the PhD degree certificate or provisional PhD certificate along with your online application.
You must have published some work in well-known journals and have demonstrated evidence of excellent academic and professional achievement. You will need to upload the copy of the paper or article published in a recent publication of repute with your online application.
If you are already employed, you will need to follow the instructions for the employer’s endorsement. If it is applicable, you must obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority. The employer must specify that you will be granted leave for the period of the fellowship.
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted online at https://apply.iie.org/fvsp2020
- Please carefully review the FNPostdoc Applicant Instructions before starting your online application
- Please refer to FNPostdoc Applicant Checklist before submitting the application
- In addition, you must complete and upload the following documents on your online application
Application Due Date: July 15, 2019, 23:59:59 hrs (IST)
Timeline and Placement Process
|July 15, 2019||Application due date for 2020-2021 awards|
|September 2019||Field-specific experts review applications to short-list candidates|
|End October 2019||National interviews of short-listed candidates in Delhi|
|Early November 2019||USIEF notifies principal and alternate nominees that they are recommended|
|December 2019||USIEF forwards applications of recommended candidates to the U.S. for J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approval and placement|
|March-April 2020||USIEF notifies finalists|
|August-September 2020||Program begins|